Monday, June 07, 2010

Tea Review 110 - Mate Factor Yerba Mate


Mate Factor

Yerba mate can be an acquired taste. I've managed to acquire it and I like it quite a bit, thank you. What I don't care for quite as much (same goes for tea) are most of the flavored varieties of yerba mate on the market. Of course, if you don't care for the taste of mate straight up you might prefer one of these.

In either case, the gang at Mate Factor should have something that fits the bill for you. I don't recall hearing of them (though they've been around since 2003) before they approached me about reviewing their stuff, but with a great line of straight mate and a variety of flavored ones, all of it wrapped up in nice eye-catching packaging, they seem poised to take on that other yerba mate company, the one that seems to be the 800-pound gorilla of mate selling in these here United States.

I didn't much care for MF's flavored products, but don't let that steer you away. As noted above, I simply don't care much for any flavored tea, mate, rooibos and so forth. I sampled their Organic Dark Roast, which was a bit robust for my tastes. Converts from coffee drinking or fans of strong black tea will probably go for this one.

Other flavored varieties on the menu, Organic Mocha Mint and Organic Chai, Lemon Ginger and Hibiscus Lime. Oddly enough, it's this last one that I found most appealing. Oddly, I sez, since I usually don't care that much for hibiscus.

For me, the best of the samples that Mate Facto provided was their organic fresh green variety, which comes in a traditional "loose-leaf" variety or in tea bags. Good stuff.

Samples provided by Mate Factor
TGS Review Policies

Adagio Teas triniTea Tea Maker
Zarafina Tea Maker Suite

No comments: