Saturday, May 05, 2007

Is Tea Bad For You?


Update
It might be time to throw out your green tea and replace it with yerba mate. Or maybe not. Although research at the University of Illinois indicates that yerba mate might contain higher levels of antioxidants than green tea.

My recommendation - keep drinking green tea and start drinking yerba mate too. Or stop worrying about your health so much.

More about yerba mate and green tea in this article from the university's student newspaper.

Original Post
With all the reports about the wondrous things tea drinking can do for you, it's a switch to read one about tea's alleged dark side. Not that I put too much stock in what these reports have to say, one way or the other.

According to this article in Yahoo India News, Rutgers University researchers have found that tea may cause chromosome damage and fetal leukemia. Both of which are no laughing matter, of course.

The article is a bit confusing and I didn't have much luck tracking down the actual research data, but I gather that you're only at risk for these conditions if you're taking tea-based supplements and the like. Plain old tea drinkers apparently don't have much to worry about.

As always, I'll be drinking my tea with little concern for any health benefits or lack thereof. I encourage you to do the same.

shop for tea books

save to del.icio.us

, , ,

No comments: