Thursday, April 03, 2008

Snapshot - My Tea Shelf


It's been a while since I've done a proper tea review, but here are notes on a few things I've been drinking lately. What about you?

Mystery Assam
I'm always up for a good Assam. This loose leaf variety of indeterminate origin (purchased at a local grocery store) is not a great one, but it's suitable for daily use.

Saphara Premium Estate Assam
I couldn't resist trying this one, which is part of Celestial Seasoning's new line of high-end whole leaf teas. I especially couldn't resist since they sent a coupon for a free box. Would I pay for another box out of pocket? Probably not. "Premium" might be a bit too high-falutin' of a term for this one. Not bad, really, but not quite good enough that I'd go back to the well.

Two Leaves and a Bud Tamayokucha
I had high hopes for this Japanese green. Two Leaves refers to it as "extremely green" and claim that it's "incredibly full flavored." I didn't see it that way. No matter how I tweaked the brewing parameters I wasn't able to coax much flavor from it.

Sencha Shot
From Ito En - it's canned sencha. The strong sencha flavor of this one was completely overwhelmed by bitterness. Then there's the price - $1.39 for just over six ounces. That's the part that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Archer Farms Golden Breakfast
This loose leaf Yunnan was a pleasant surprise and the best of this lot. Archer Farms is apparently a store brand for the Target chain. Which made me a bit hesitant to give their tea a shot but it turned out to be better than the average Yunnan. Perhaps not the best I've ever tasted but I would (and did) buy this one again.

shop for tea books.

, , ,

No comments: