Monday, April 06, 2009

Tea Review 97 - Narien China Black Teas


Keemun Imperial
Yunnan Golden Tips
Narien Teas

In the great rush to tout the merits of green tea, white tea and puerh, a lot of people seem to forget that a cup of really good black tea - no, don't bother looking for it in your supermarket - is worthy of their time. Though I'm something of a cheerleader for Assam, in particular, I'm always willing to give other black teas a whirl.

Such as Yunnan, for example, one of China's best-known black teas and one that takes its name from the region in which it's grown. I can't recall ever being disappointed by a Yunnan and Narien's Yunnan Golden Tips was no exception. I did find it to be a little smokier than most, but not so much that it spoiled the party for me.

The Keemun Imperial, however, was another story. Now don't get me wrong. This is a great tea, very flavorful and worthy of a few of your tea-buying dollars - if you like smoky teas. I don't, so I'm not the target audience for this one. I did like mixing a dab of it with some other black teas and making iced tea out of the whole mess but as a hot tea it just wasn't my...well, you know.

Recommended on both counts, with the above-mentioned caveat for the Keemun Imperial.

life's short/drink good tea - Tea Guy Speaks T-Shirts
IQ Innovations 51552 Fine T 4-Cup Gourmet Tea Machine
Zarafina Tea Maker Suite

No comments: