Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Mild Rant About $1,000 Tea

Here's another article I recently wrote for The English Tea Store blog.

A Mild Rant About $1,000 Tea
By William I. Lengeman III

At the risk of seeming a bit insensitive, I’m going to go out on limb here. I’m going to go so far as to say that, if someone can get you to part with $1,000 for a cup of tea, they deserve your money. Perhaps you’re not sensible enough to be carrying around such large sums.

But seriously, folks. Let’s look into this notion of $1,000 tea a little further. According to the local press in South Australia the hoity-toity crowd in and around Melbourne “are regularly paying up to $18 for a cup of tea at some city cafes.” That’s about $16.67 in US dollars, which sounds just a little rich for my blood and by the way that works out to a little more than $3,300 a pound (US) for whatever fine tea they might be serving up down there.

more

The Breville One-Touch Tea Maker

No comments: