Thursday, November 08, 2007

Desert Island Tea 5 - (Author) Beatrice Hohenegger


It's been quite a while since our last installment of Desert Island Tea, but I'll proceed under the assumption that late is truly better than never. Today's castaway is Beatrice Hohenegger, author of Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to West. If that title sounds familiar, it may be because I mentioned it in yesterday's installment.

Question:
If you were stranded on a desert island (an island with clean, fresh water and tea making equipment, of course) what one tea (only one) would you like to have with you and why?

Beatrice Hohenegger's Answer:
In answer to your $64,000 question, here's what I would do: I would consult with a reputable pu'er vendor, tell him/her that I prefer shu, and let them give me the best cake of the best year they have. Then every infusion and every brewing will tell me a different story, and I won't ever be bored, it will be (almost) as if I had more than one tea with me. In addition, if I have to be stranded for a long time, the tea won't go bad but instead will get better and better -- heck, it might even give a return on the investment if I have any left over... But -- for all this to happen I'd have to have those $64,000 ...

shop for tea books.

, , ,

No comments: