Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tea Review 142- Mountain Rose Herbs Darjeeling


Darjeeling Tea (1st Flush)
Mountain Rose Herbs

As much as I like black tea I have to confess that Darjeeling is not typically one of my favorites. As a general rule they tend to be a bit too thin for me and I find that they tend toward bitterness rather easily.

This first flush, Fair Trade Darjeeling from Mountain Rose Herbs was a little different than most of the others I've sampled. It seemed to me to have a fuller taste than many and some flavor notes that were faintly reminiscent of chocolate/cocoa. While I probably wouldn't put it at the top of my black tea list I certainly found it quite drinkable.

Here's what Mountain Rose has to say about this one:

A true unblended Darjeeling tea from fresh, green, subtle leaves. Darjeeling is one of the most sought after tea beverages for its astringent qualities and its ability to indulge the taste buds. Has a wonderfully grounding aftertaste, and is complex in characteristics. From the Northern Himalayas in India comes this exquisite tea fit for the most occasions. Our Darjeeling tea is Fair Trade certified and contains caffeine.

Image: Mountain Rose Herbs

Sample provided by Mountain Rose Herbs
Tea Guy Speaks Review Policies

Cuisinart TEA-100 PerfecTemp Programmable Tea Steeper

1 comment:

Alex Zorach said...

I occasionally do find first flush Darjeeling teas with a darker color and more robust character to them.

I recently ordered a small amount of tea from Mountain Rose Herbs and am curious to try it. I've been very happy with the quality of their bulk herbs, but I have yet to try their teas.