Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Drink More Yerba Mate

I've been consuming mass quantities of yerba mate these days and I've been drinking it the traditional way, thanks to the fine people at Natural Latitudes, who were kind enough to supply me with a mate (drinking gourd) and bombilla (filtered metal straw).

NL recommend that you fill your mate about 3/4 of the way full when you begin your busy day of yerba mate drinking and keep topping it off with hot water until you are unable to squeeze any more more flavor from the leaves.

I've been doing things a little differently, I must confess, after one not so impressive experience with this method. I tend to start with two spoonfuls of yerba mate for the day's first infusion and then add a spoonful for each additional infusion. Works quite nicely and my wife, the unrepentant c***** drinker, has even developed a taste for the stuff.

London's Independent has discovered yerba mate, which they suggest may be "A weight-loss tea that's full of antioxidants..." It's also said to be favored by such luminaries as Madonna, Hilary Clinton and Matt Dillon, though the reporter who penned the piece was clearly not enamored with it's unique flavor. Now I'd have thought that someone who can choke down a cup of c***** could stomach just about anything, but hey, what do I know?

Anyhoo, the article appeared in today's online edition of the Independent. Check it out here.

2 comments:

William I. Lengeman III said...

There's probably not a lot of middle ground when it comes to yerba mate. I think you either love it or hate it. After having tried it in loose form I have to say that I'm rather hooked.

Unknown said...

Why do so many companies grind up their yerba mate?

I am trying to uncover the reason for this--as, like tea, wouldn't it oxidize faster...

And, do you know who has an organic, non-ground product?