Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Iced Yerba Mate


Iced tea season has arrived, at least for most of us, though the temperatures in this neck of the woods (Pennsylvania) plunged close to the freezing mark last night.

While you're trotting out your assorted variations on iced tea, why not give iced yerba mate a whirl? According to an article at the Goyerbamate.com Web site, this is called "Terere" and it can be prepared in a variety of ways.

For a little more information, try this brief Wikipedia article.

, , , , ,

Shop for tea at Amazon.com

4 comments:

Kieran said...

I am mad about mate, although I have never had it iced. I got into it on a trip to Argentina, and sometimes in the winter I bring out my gourd and sip away. Would be interesting iced, I'd say, but you'd lose out a bit on the ceremony of it!

William I. Lengeman III said...

I haven't tried it either, but from what I gather you do it the same way, just replacing hot water with cold.

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

Guayaki's Orange Blossom Mate is superb as an iced tea. I used to own a tea shop here in Tulsa, OK and made it all the time in the summer. Good stuff! I preferred to steep mine at double concentration (i.e., two bags - or about 4 tsp of regular loose mate - per 12 oz water in a french press)in hot water and then shake over ice. It came out at a better strength this way.

William I. Lengeman III said...

Sounds like someting that's worth a try.