Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Growing Tea


According to this article in The News & Observer, which hails from somewhere in the Carolinas, "Tea is easy to grow". I beg to differ.

If you've been reading TGS for a while you might recall that I ordered some tea seeds a while back and - with great enthusiasm - set about launching my own tea estate. You can read part one of my adventures here.

The rest of the story is not terribly enthralling. The tea seeds refused to germinate and, after what I deemed a suitable time, I pulled the plug on the experiment. In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I was trying to grow the seeds indoors, in the winter, in little snack dishes, which may have had something to do with my failure.

Now that summer is upon us, I've decided to give the tea estate another whirl. Though I'm in an apartment, I had a pot on the porch which had produced a nice bunch of carrot greens, but no carrots. I proceeded to plow these under and replace them with tea seeds.

We'll see how it goes. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll keep you posted.

, , , , ,

Shop for tea at Amazon.com

No comments: