Thursday, September 03, 2009

Tea Review 103 - Canton Tea Co. (x5)


Anxi Rou Gui
Pouchong
Keemun Gongfu
Bai Ling Gong Fu
Jiu Qu Hong Mei
Canton Tea Co

Thanks to the good people at Canton Tea Co, who were kind enough to send along samples of five of their teas. Here's the lowdown.

Anxi Rou Gui
I'm not enamored of the more robust oolongs, so this one was right up my alley. It has that light almost fruity taste that seems so typical of many of the lighter oolong varieties.

Pouchong
Another light and flavorful oolong, one that Canton Tea classifies with their greens, even though it's actually a Taiwanese oolong.

Keemun Gongfu
Of all of the better-known black tea varieties, I probably have the least experience with keemun, a Chinese black. While I wasn't sure what to expect with this one I was quite pleasantly surprised. A nice smooth aroma and rich flavor with just a hint of smokiness. The latter is something that usually puts me off but the smokiness was subtle enough that it didn't bother me. Probably my favorite out of this bunch. As the seller's blurb notes, this is "the highest grade of keemun red teas."

Bai Ling Gong Fu
I don't think I've ever tasted this variety before. I liked it quite a bit but couldn't really think of any other black teas to compare it to. Truly unique, with a smooth and light flavor that's perhaps a bit reminiscent of a somewhat more robust Darjeeling.

Jiu Qu Hong Mei
There's something to be said for writing your reviews as you're tasting the teas. Since I've forgotten what this variety tasted like I'll revert to the seller's description, "A rare red tea, first developed in the 1980’s. The leaves are long and thin and the taste sweet with a hint of dried fruits. This tea produces a bright liquor and has a wonderful fruity flavour and refreshing mouth-feel."

Adagio Teas triniTea Tea Maker
Zarafina Tea Maker Suite

No comments: