Friday, August 19, 2005

Tea Review 11 - Stash Lemon Ginger

Stash Lemon Ginger Herbal Tea
The Stash Tea Company

I don't know how it came about, but over the years I've developed a marked fondness for raw ginger. I've taken to keeping a sliver in my mouth and nibbling off a tiny piece now and then and chewing it. If freshens the breath and, if reports are to be believed, it's pretty good for you. Whether or not a quarter of a pound a week or so is good I don't know, but I guess time will tell.

I also like lemons. I'm one of those people who will sometimes take their lemon out of the tea or water glass in a restaurant and dig in. So it stands to reason that Stash's lemon ginger infusion would be pretty high on my list.

I wish I could say it was, but the fact is that I haven't really run across many ginger infusions or teas or whatever that are worth much. In fact, I've only run across one that's worth mentioning and that's Ginger Aid, by Traditional Medicinals, but more about that one at a later date.

As much as I love ginger, I have to admit that it's not good for much as a tea, at least not as far as the taste goes. It almost has to be combined with another ingredient and few manufacturers have demonstrated thus far that they have much of a knack for this.

Stash makes a good stab at it and this one isn't all that bad, but the lemon needs to be kicked up a notch or two - or three or four.

The ingredients list, by the way, is ginger root, lemongrass, the ever-present hibiscus, safflower, citric acid and natural lemon and ginger flavors.

Not particularly recommended as a standalone or a hot tea, but not so bad when mixed in an iced tea with something that packs a little more punch.

Contents: 20 bags per box.
I paid: na

No comments: