Saturday, August 27, 2005

Tea Review 14 - Kikkoman Green Tea Soymilk

Kikkoman Pearl Green Tea Soymilk
Kikkoman-USA

Okay, now I've seen everything. I was in the health food section of our local food emporium the other day, looking for soymilk, when what should I run across? That's right - green tea soymilk. Who would have guessed?

Most of us probably know Kikkoman by their most famous product - soy sauce. But they also make several types of soymilk, including - obviously - a green tea variety.

I have to admit that I wasn't really bowled over by this idea. It smacked of bandwagon-jumping of the loopiest sort and frankly, I really didn't see the point. Then I tried it.

The first and most important quality of a good soymilk is that it be thick and creamy. I've tasted some that were more like colored water than anything and they're definitely something to steer clear of. I recently tried another Kikkoman variety, besides green tea, and found both to be very creamy and thick.

The other thing that surprised me was how much tea was actually in this product. I was expecting the green tea to be a token component, but what I got instead was a dark green beverage thick with bits of powdered green tea. Okay, so the color is nothing to write home about, but the taste actually is.

This is pretty much a standard base of soymilk ingredients. The "active" ingredient is simply described as "organic green tea powder," which is good enough for me. As a matter of fact, the whole kit and caboodle are organic and the price isn't half bad either.

I bought this one mainly for the novelty value, but the funny thing is, I would probably buy it again. Recommended.

Contents: 32 ounce box
I paid: $1.79

No comments: