Sunday, August 07, 2005

Tea Review 6 - Steaz Root Beer

Root Beer Green Tea Soda
The Healthy Beverage Company

I liked root beer well enough when I was growing up, but I was never a huge fan. I was much more enamored of the charms of birch beer. Remember that one?

Healthy Beverage Company makes eight flavors of green tea soda, which it markets under the Steaz brand. Five of these are fruit flavors (see the review of orange here), which makes sense, and one is ginger ale, which doesn't sound half bad.

The other two flavors, though, just don't sound like winning ideas, at least not on paper. I haven't had a chance to sample Steaz's cola variety yet, though I have to admit that their root beer was nowhere near as gruesome as I expected.

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but the notion of root beer mixed with green tea just didn't ring any bells for me. Of course, if the truth be must be told, my crude palate couldn't detect any tea flavor at all. As for the root beer, it was passably good, if a little bland.

All of Steaz's sodas are organic micro-brews, with no preservatives. The root beer mix is sparkling filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, natural root beer flavor and caramel color. The green tea component, as with all Steaz varieties, is organic Ceylon green tea. There are also a few other minor ingredients listed.

It's been a long time since I've had a proper root beer, so perhaps I'm not the best person to judge this one. But I'd be willing to bet that root beer lovers could do better. As for green tea fans, well, unless you buy into that "green tea as miracle health tonic" song and dance, you could do better too.

Contents: 12 ounce bottle
I paid: $.51 (clearance price)

No comments: